Search ▸ Agenda item attachment
CMA 2016 #244 · Agenda item attachment · Sep 12 2016
A communication transmitted from Richard C. Rossi, City Manager, relative to the final Landmark Designation Report for the Ivory Sands House at 145 Elm Street and the Cambridge Historical Commission's recommendation
⚠ This document is a scan; its text was recovered by optical character recognition and may contain errors. The original PDF is authoritative. Anyone can check a page against it.
FINAL
LANDMARK DESIGNATION REPORT
Ivory Sands House
145 Elm Street
Cambridge, Mass.
The 1839 Ivory Sands house was the first of three brick houses constructed in Cambridge
by the Sands family of brickmakers; the others were at 22 Putman Avenue (1848) and 97
Huron Avenue (1850, demolished). The surviving houses built by members of the Sands
family are significant for their associations with the brick industry in Cambridge in the 19th
century. Both the Ivory Sands house at 145 Elm Street and the Hiram Sands house at 22
Putnam Avenue are listed on the National Register of Historic Places; the Hiram Sands house
has been protected by a preservation restriction since 1978. Designation of the Ivory Sands
house as a Cambridge landmark will protect it for posterity.
On July 7, 2016 the Historical Commission voted unanimously to find that the property
meets the criteria for landmark designation for the reasons provided in the landmark
designation study report and as provided in the landmark ordinance, Ch. 2.78, Article III
of the Cambridge Municipal Code and to forward this report to the City Council with
a recommendation to approve designation.
Charles Sullivan
Cambridge Historical Commission
July 27, 2016
Read by machine, not yet checked by a person · check this page against the original
Location and Status
A. Address and Zoning
Mop-Lot
86.111
Hampsi.
The Ivory Sands house at 145 Elm Street (aka 132 Hampshire
Map-Lof
Street) occupies a 2,980 square foot lot (Map 86, Lot 110) at the
86.116
southwest corner of Elm and Hampshire streets. The zoning is
2981
Residence C-1, a multi-family district with a height limit of 35'
and a requirement of 1,500 square feet of lot area per dwelling
unit. The building is non-conforming due to limited setbacks. It
also encroaches on to the Hampshire Street right-of-way by
about 3'
. The assessed value in 2016 was $910,200, of which
$471,600 was attributed to the building.
CHC
145 Elm Street, showing the garage, greenhouse, front entries, and retaining wall, May 11, 2015
B. Ownership and Occupancy
The Cambridge Assessing Department lists the current owner of record as Edward B. Seldin.
However, Dr. Seldin sold the property in July 2015 to the current occupant, Shawn R. Henry
(Middlesex South Registry of Deeds 65819/24). The structure is assessed as a single-family
house.
Read by machine, not yet checked by a person · check this page against the original
Mian
145 Elm Street/132 Hampshire Street
Cambridge Assessing Department
C. Area Description
Elm Street developed in the late 1830s and early 1840s in the period when Broadway Common
(now Sennott Park) was the civic center of Cambridgeport. Elaborate Greek Revival houses
lined Broadway facing the park, while Tremont, Norfolk and Elm streets behind them were
filled with substantial but less elaborate Greek Revival houses, widely separated on generous
lots. There was very little development north of Hampshire Street until after the Civil War,
when both Hampshire and Cambridge Streets and the streets between them rapidly filled with
small single-family houses in a variety of vernacular styles. Beginning in the 1890s the grow-
ing industrialization of Cambridge attracted waves of immigrants from Europe, and the devel-
opment community responded by constructing three-deckers wherever a vacant lot could be
found. During this period many older houses were moved back from the street so a three-
decker could be constructed in the front yard. Industries infiltrated the area until Cambridge
adopted zoning in 1924, and persisted for many years after. Housing conditions deteriorated
from the 1920s through the 1970s, but recent decades have seen much rehabilitation and some
new construction in the vicinity.
Read by machine, not yet checked by a person · check this page against the original
D. Context of this Designation Report
The Ivory Sands house was identified during the Cambridge Historical Commission's 1965
survey of Cambridgeport as having exceptional significance, and the Commission nominated it
for listing on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. Dr. Edward Seldin purchased
the property in 1979. In 1982 he requested zoning permission to subdivide the lot, which was
also occupied by the large 1882 three-decker at 134-136 Hampshire Street. The City Engineer
noted the encroachment of the house on Hampshire Street, and the BZA requested the Histori-
cal Commission to monitor alterations to the house. A preservation restriction was drafted but
never executed, and Dr. Seldin reviewed exterior alterations with the staff until he sold the
property in 2015. Before the sale he requested the Commission to initiate a landmark designa-
tion study, which commenced on June 4, 2015.
I.
Description
The Sands house is a gable-roofed 2½-story Federal-style single-family house with a center en-
trance and five bays across the front façade. The waterstruck brick exterior is surmounted by a
slightly projecting entablature and a sawtooth brick cornice. The windows are trimmed with
brownstone lintels and 2+2 sash. The flush-boarded pediments have half-round windows in the
attic. A two-story shingled addition projects from the northwest corner on Hampshire Street.
The uncharacteristically high brick basement, which raises the house almost a full story above
the sidewalk, may have resulted from a regrading of the surrounding area to level the grade of
Hampshire Street.
CHC
145 Elm Street, showing the garage, greenhouse, solar panel, May 11, 2015
Read by machine, not yet checked by a person · check this page against the original
Publicly visible alterations and additions to the building include a
new front door and sidelights in a traditional pattern; a covered
front porch with a brick platform and arched opening to the cellar
door; a perimeter stone wall that turns the corner on Elm and
Hampshire streets; a garage; and a greenhouse.
Structures and elements not visible to the public include a sloping
triangular glass roof behind the house, an exterior staircase, a gar-
den trellis, and a rooftop HVAC condenser. Interior alterations also
not subject to review include a two-level basement with a circular
staircase that was occupied by Dr. Seldin's machine shop.
Basement entrance and front
door
Hampshire Street
Elm Street
vSum Street
145 Elm Street, showing structures and elements not
visible from any public way
Cambridge GIS
Read by machine, not yet checked by a person · check this page against the original
History and Significance of the Property
The 1839 Ivory Sands house was the first of three brick houses constructed in Cambridge by
members of the Sands family of brickmakers; the others were at 22 Putman Avenue (1848) and
97 Huron Avenue (1850, now demolished). The Ivory Sands house has been listed on the Na-
tional Register of Historic Places since 1986.
Ivory Sands was born in Lyman, York County, Maine about 1806, and was one of several sons
of Thomas and Eunice Sands. He married Eliza Ward in Plymouth, N.H. in 1835. The couple
moved to Cambridgeport, where he and his brother John entered the brick business with a clay
pit and kilns along the Millers River north of Cambridge Street, making bricks primarily for
the Boston market. Ivory built 145 Elm Street in 1839, probably as an advertisement for his
products, and sold it in 1840.
In 1842 Sands entered a partnership
with two other brickmakers to lease
an acre of the William Winthrop farm
in the vicinity of Flagg and Banks
streets, with the right to extract clay
and manufacture bricks on the prop-
erty. His brother Hiram joined him in
1845 in leasing another two acres
from the Winthrop heirs, and in 1848
Hiram and John built the brick house
at 22 Putnam Avenue. Hiram retained
this house until 1854, when he left the
brick business. Ivory Sands continued
line
making bricks in the neighborhood
through the 1860s, and died in 1878.
John Sands developed clay pits on
Garden Street and Concord Avenue in
North Cambridge, where he built a
brick house at 97 Huron Avenue that
was demolished in 1940. His son
Martin merged the Sands Brick Com-
STREE
pany into the New England Brick
Company in 1900.
145 Elm Street and a nearby brickyard in 1854
The house at 145 Elm was probably built to advertise the products of the Sands brickyard.
Ivory Sands purchased a vacant lot on the southwest corner of Elm and Hampshire Streets in
1838. A year later, he was taxed for "one unfinished house," which he evidently completed and
sold in 1840 to Jonathan Dexter and Corbin Gould. Nothing is known about Dexter, but Corbin
Gould was a baker by trade whose firm, Gould & Wood, was located at 50 Myrtle Street in
Boston in 1842. According to Cambridge directories Gould never lived in the house, but in
Read by machine, not yet checked by a person · check this page against the original
1848 he petitioned the City Council "for liberty to enclose within his yard a small portion of
Hampshire Street" (Cambridge Chronicle, April 19, 1849). Corbin sold the place in 1866 to
Elizabeth Holden, who defaulted two years later on a mortgage held by Levi Prescott, a cus-
toms inspector and "claims agent" in Boston. Prescott died in 1874
The high foundation of the Sands house allowed a variety of
C. BERRY.
commercial uses to occupy the basement. Most notably, Casper
PORTER OF
Berry, a Swiss immigrant, and his wife Lizzie bought the prop-
Milwaukes, New York ard Boston
erty in 1882 and used it for their business of bottling lager beer.
LAGER BEER,
In 1887 the Cambridge Tribune reported that they were one of
133 tampshire, cor. Mimi Street,
113 saloons still operating in Cambridge despite the recent pas-
CANDIDGEPOET.
sage of a No-License law. The Berrys built the wood frame tene-
i partitioned this commies set Earpe, ast
ment next door on Hampshire Street in 1882 and prospered suf-
ficiently to build a multi-family block in Boston and a house on
Highland Avenue.
200-5 IN B
SANDON
145 Elm Street. 1965
CHC
145 Elm and 134-136 Hampshire Street,
1934-60. "D-S in B" means "Dwelling,
Store in Basement." Sanborn Atlas
A store occupied the old saloon until the mid-20t century, but the property was essentially der-
elict by the 1960s. About 1976 a new owner removed the saloon entrance, front porch, and
steps, leaving the house stripped of accretions. The Cambridge Historical Commission pro-
vided a Preservation Grant in 1978 to fabricate and install new half-round windows in the ga-
ble ends. Dr. Edward Seldin purchased the house in 1979 and was responsible for many recent
improvements.
Read by machine, not yet checked by a person · check this page against the original
All of the surviving houses built by members of the
Sands family are significant for their associations
with the brick industry in Cambridge in the 19* cen-
tury. Both the Ivory Sands house at 145 Elm Street
and the Hiram Sands house at 22 Putnam Avenue
are on the National Register of Historic Places. The
Hiram Sands house has been protected by a preser-
vation restriction since 1978, and the Ivory Sands
house deserves similar recognition.
CHC
145 Elm Street, 1979
IV. Relationship to the Criteria
A. Criteria for Landmark Designation
The enabling ordinance for landmark designation states:
The Historical Commission by majority vote may recommend for designation as a land-
mark any property within the City being or containing a place, structure, feature or ob-
ject which it determines to be either (1) importantly associated with one or more his-
toric persons or events, or with the broad architectural, aesthetic, cultural, political, eco-
nomic or social history of the City or the Commonwealth or (2) historically or architec-
turally significant (in terms of its period, style, method of construction or association
with a famous architect or builder) either by itself or in the context of a group of struc-
tures... (City Code, Article III, Chapter 2.78.180.A)
B. Relationship of Property to Criteria
The Ivory Sands house is significant under Criterion 1 for its association with the original
property owner, who was an early practitioner in Cambridge's signature brick industry. It is
also significant under Criterion 2 as a rare example of brick construction in Cambridge in the
late Federal Period.
Recommendations
V.
A. Article III, Chapter 2.78.140
The purpose of landmark designation is contained in the enabling ordinance, which is to:
preserve, conserve and protect the beauty and heritage of the City and to improve the
quality of its environment through identification, conservation and maintenance of..
sites and structures which constitute or reflect distinctive features of the architectural,
cultural, political, economic or social history of the City; to resist and restrain environ-
mental influences adverse to this purpose; [and] to foster appropriate use and wider
public knowledge and appreciation of such ... structures...
Read by machine, not yet checked by a person · check this page against the original
B. Preservation Options
Landmark designation or donation of a preservation easement are the only two options for the
permanent long-term protection and preservation of the Sands house. National Register listing
alone will not permanently protect and preserve the building.
C. Staff Recommendation
The staff recommends that the Commission find that the Ivory Sands house meets the criteria
for landmark designation and should be a protected landmark under Article III, Chapter 2.78.
VI. Standards and Criteria
Under Article III, the Historical Commission is charged with reviewing any construction, dem-
olition or alteration that affects the exterior architectural features (other than color) of a desig-
nated landmark. This section of the report describes exterior architectural features that are
among the characteristics that led to consideration of the property as a landmark. Except as the
order designating or amending the landmark may otherwise provide, the exterior architectural
features described in this report should be preserved and/or enhanced in any proposed altera-
tion or construction that affects those features of the landmark. The standards following in par-
agraphs A and B of this section provide guidelines for the treatment of the landmark described
in this report.
A. General Standards and Criteria
Subject to review and approval of exterior architectural features under the terms of this report,
the following standards shall apply:
1. Significant historic and architectural features of the landmark should be preserved.
2. Changes and additions to the landmark which have taken place over time are evi-
dence of the history of the property and the neighborhood. These changes may
have acquired significance in their own right and, if so, that significance should be
recognized and respected.
3. Deteriorated architectural features should be repaired rather than replaced.
4. When replacement of architectural features is necessary, it should be based on phys-
ical or documentary evidence.
5. New materials should, whenever possible, match the material being replaced in
physical properties, design, color, texture, and appearance. The use of imitation re-
placement materials is generally discouraged.
6. The surface cleaning of a landmark should be done by the gentlest possible means.
Sandblasting and other cleaning methods that damage exterior architectural features
shall not be used.
Read by machine, not yet checked by a person · check this page against the original
7. Additions should not destroy significant exterior architectural features and should
not be incongruous to the historic aspects, architectural significance, or distinct
character of the landmark, neighborhood, and environment.
8. Additions should be designed in a way that, if they were to be removed in the fu-
ture, the essential form and integrity of the landmark would be unimpaired.
B. Suggested Review Guidelines
1. Site Development.
Additions to the Ivory Sands house, if allowed, should respect the form, massing and materials
of the original without slavishly imitating it.
Alterations to publicly visible landscape structures, including walls, paths, driveways, and the
like, should be compatible with the original design and materials.
2. Alterations
a. Exterior surfaces
Exterior materials should be preserved insofar as practicable. Special care should be taken to
protect and maintain the appearance of the masonry and fenestration. Repointing the mortar
joints should be done with special care to maintain the color and texture of the mortar and the
profile of the joints. Cleaning the brick exterior should occur under carefully controlled condi-
tions to ensure the least possible damage to the surface. The brick masonry should never be
painted.
b. Fenestration
Introduction of new window openings on the visible facades should not be allowed. Existing
sash should be maintained, but when replaced should conform to the original design of the
steel sash as closely as possible. Storm windows may be installed or upgraded without review
in conformance with current Commission guidelines.
Interior features
Although interior features are not subject to the jurisdiction of the Cambridge Historical Com-
mission, the owner should be encouraged to preserve original spaces, materials and detailing.
d. Secondary Structures
The garage, greenhouse, front retaining wall, steps and canopy have all been constructed since
1979. Their idiosyncratic design should be respected when changes are considered.
Read by machine, not yet checked by a person · check this page against the original
VII. Proposed Order
That the Ivory Sands House, 145 Elm Street, be designated as a protected landmark pursuant to
Chapter 2.78, Article III, Section 2.78.180 of the Code of the City of Cambridge, as recom-
mended by vote of the Cambridge Historical Commission on July 7, 2016. The premises so
designated is the land defined as parcel 86 on assessor's map 110 and the structures thereon
and the premises described in a deed recorded in Book 65819, Page 24 at the South Middlesex
Registry of Deeds.
This designation is justified by the important architectural and historical associations the prop-
erty embodies as a distinctive structure erected by early brickmaker Ivory Sands in 1839.
The effect of this designation shall be that review by the Cambridge Historical Commission
and the issuance of a Certificate of Appropriateness, Hardship or Non-Applicability shall be
required before any construction activity can take place within the designated premises or any
action can be taken affecting the appearance of the premises, that would in either case be visi-
ble from a public way. In making determinations, the Commission shall be guided by the terms
of the Final Landmark Designation Report, dated July 27, 2016 with respect to the designated
premises, by Section VII, Standards and Criteria of said report, and by the applicable sections
of Chapter 2.78, Article III, of the Cambridge Municipal Code.
Read by machine, not yet checked by a person · check this page against the original
Read by machine, not yet checked by a person · check this page against the original